One of the ONCCEE objectives as a CECR is to strengthen domestic collaboration nationally. To help meet this objective, the Centre has facilitated the creation of the Ocean Technology Alliance Canada (OTAC), linking Canada's regional associations to foster, promote and facilitate mutually beneficial ocean technology initiatives in Canada through a collaborative network of networks. Initial members of OTAC include:
- Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) which is the non-profit society owned by the University of Victoria responsible for the management, development, promotion, and commercialization of UVic's research assets, the VENUS and NEPTUNE Canada Networks of the ONC Observatory. ONC also hosts the Ocean Networks Canada Innovation Centre which provides national coverage of ocean technology companies through its Ocean Technology Industry Network.
- Oceans Advance (OA) which is a regional technology cluster which was established to promote the development and expansion of an industrial Ocean Technology Cluster in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Ocean Initiatives British Columbia (OIBC) is an economic development organization that seeks to grow the economy, communities, business, and other organizations in the ocean and marine sectors in British Columbia.
- Technopole maritime du Québec (TMQ) is a corporation established to support and develop the maritime technology industry cluster in Québec.
- Aerospace and Defence Industry Association Nova Scotia (ADIANS) was incorporated to assist in the pursuit of aerospace and defence industry growth and development opportunities. ADIANS is also focused on emerging sectors such as marine security, ocean and space technologies and working to create a cluster of advanced technology companies that align with Nova Scotia`s interest in driving a stronger innovation culture. ADIANS has a ocean technology focus through its Ocean Technology Council.
Representatives from these five Ocean technology Associations is meeting for the first time in Montreal in November of 2011 to discuss:
- Defining areas of mututal technological and resarch interest
- Developing an action plan for collaborative initiatives and projects
- Developing an export development plan for the Canadian ocean tech sector
NEWS UPDATE ~ AUGUST 22, 2012 : OTAC industry group heads to Brazil in Fall 2012