The Field Services unit is primarily responsible for preparing for and executing field service operations related to the day-to-day workings of the cabled observatories and other mobile and land based assets. This includes ship based activities that occur multiple times a year for up to four weeks duration, as well as day and multi day trips to service land and marine systems. The FSM works in collaboration with the Operations Support and Testing & Development Teams, in the installation, maintenance and repair of ONC's coastal sub-sea infrastructure. The Marine Technology Centre (MTC) in Sidney serves as the department's base of operations.
The FSM's responsibilities include:
- Design, construction and installation of new equipment, platforms, structures and systems
- Field operations planning and execution
- Member of Marine Operations leadership team
- Participates and/or serves as Expedition Lead during at-sea observatory maintenance and installation expeditions as required
This position is expected to maintain certifications in forklift and crane operation, standard first aid or marine basic first aid, and a Transport Canada approved marine safety course such as SCTW-95 Basic Safety. This position, as with all Marine Operations positions, will on a rotating basis serve as the Marine Operations Safety Coordinator whose role it is to coordinate internal tasks required to ensure safety equipment, training and records are in place to meet Marine Operations workplace safety requirements. The Safety Coordinator sits on the ONC Joint Local Safety Committee.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and a minimum of ten years’ experience in engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate must either be a member of the Association of Professional Engineers of British Columbia, or eligible to become a member. Additional requirements include:
- Experience with PC based command, control and data acquisition
- Thorough command of serial communications protocols (EIA 232, 422, 485)
- Good knowledge of Ethernet hardware, TCP/IP and UDP
- Facility with systems-level hardware integration
- Experience with microprocessor-based control systems
- Experience with CAD engineering design software, database applications and standard office software
- Experience with financial/budget administration
- Supervisory experience