The Marine Operations department supports all aspects of design, planning, maintenance and expansion of the underwater network and instrumentation. The Mechanical Engineering Co-op will provide essential support to the Operations group during the upcoming busy installation/maintenance season.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist with design and assembly of platforms for underwater instruments such as cameras, sonars, and current meters.
- Help prepare for Installation cruises.
- Source materials/parts and obtain multiple quotes for each.
- Assist in consolidation of inventory.
- Provide incoming inspection of materials against the ONC quality requirements.
- Document engineering specifications of instruments.
- Create mechanical parts using hand tools and manual machine tools.
- Service and maintain mechanical machines including underwater instrumentation.
- Prepare special report on one aspect of their work term.
- Assist the operations support team with shipping/receiving duties.
Installation Cruise –Coastal and Offshore waters
- There is a possibility for the incumbent to work on board a vessel during the installation cruise depending on our expedition schedule for 2020 which is still TBD.
- Would need valid passport.
Job knowledge requirements:
- Ability to use 3D CAD software.
- Experience with Solid Works an asset.
- Able to create mechanical parts using hand tools and manual machine tools.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and computational communication skills.
- Documentation skills/experience an asset.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Forklift certification an asset.
- Previous maritime experience an asset.
- Must be self motivated.
The ideal candidate will be a junior undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering Technology or have the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This is a 4 month term position.
- The Mechanical Engineering Technologist will be based at the Ocean Networks Canada Marine Technology Center located at 9865 West Saanich Road, Sidney, BC.
Start Date: May 4, 2021
End Date: Aug 27, 2021
To Apply: email your resume and cover letter to Marja Blasé at email@example.com, other methods will not be accepted.