About Ocean Networks Canada
The University of Victoria’s Ocean Networks Canada monitors the west and east coasts of Canada and the Arctic to continuously deliver data in real-time for scientific research that helps communities, governments and industry make informed decisions about our future. Using cabled observatories, remote control systems and interactive sensors, and big data management ONC enables evidence-based decision-making on ocean management, disaster mitigation, and environmental protection.
The observatories provide unique scientific and technical capabilities that permit researchers to operate instruments remotely and receive data at their home laboratories anywhere on the globe in realtime. Data is collected on physical, chemical, biological, and geological aspects of the ocean over long time periods, supporting research on complex Earth processes in ways not previously possible. These facilities extend and complement other research platforms and programs, whether currently operating or planned for future deployment.
ONC enhances life on Earth by providing knowledge and leadership that deliver solutions for science, society, and industry.
Ocean Networks Canada 2030 Strategic Plan
ONC’s 2030 Strategic Plan provides an aspirational vision to advance our ocean knowledge and is aligned with the United Nations Decade of Ocean Sciences for Sustainable Development.
The plan outlines three bold goals with supporting strategies to deliver solutions for science, society, and industry and serves as a roadmap for the coming decade.
Strategic Plan archive:
Ocean Networks Canada Annual Reports
Ocean Networks Canada: By the Numbers
- 2 regional and 4 community observatories
- 7 shore stations
- 850+ km seafloor backbone cables
- over 50 instrumented sites with platform
- 7 mobile instrument platforms
- 400 instruments containing over 5000 sensors online 24/7/365
- 2006 – the year data began to flow from the VENUS observatory in Saanich Inlet
- 500+ terabytes of data archived in over 26 million files
- 280 gigabytes of data collected every day
- 35 gigabytes of data are distributed every day
- $0.00 – your cost to use the data
- Backgrounders covering Ocean Networks Canada sites, science and history
- Ocean Networks Canada backgrounder
- Arctic Observatory backgrounder
- NEPTUNE Observatory site backgrounders
- VENUS Observatory site backgrounders
- Media Relations: In the News, newsletters, FAQs and more
- Financial Statements
- Published Research
- Site and Region Maps