Shaping the Next Decade of Ocean Networks Canada Research (2021-2030)
Call for Expressions of Interest
Deadline: 10 April 2020
Ocean Networks Canada is seeking input from the research community to formulate a new and bold science strategy for 2021-2030 and beyond that will build on successes and existing strengths, launch new leading-edge research infrastructure and contribute to national and international science initiatives. The new decadal science strategy will guide support for observations, experiments and delivery of data products using ONC infrastructure.
A request for renewal of operating funds will be submitted to the Canada Foundation for Innovation in mid-2022. The new Science Strategy will enable alignment of requested funding with updated research requirements.
ONC support for a refreshed research portfolio could include:
- upgraded primary subsea and cyber-infrastructure systems
- expanded deployment of mobile, autonomous, and shore-based observing platforms
- relocation and reconfiguration of some elements of the observing infrastructure
- new or upgraded instruments • new data products and data analysis tools
- field surveys and physical sample collections to augment/calibrate sensor measurements
- allocation of resources for ‘climate quality’ observations of ocean change
- assistance to develop research use of coastal community observatories
Who Should Respond?
Expressions of Interest (EOIs) are invited from all individuals or groups of researchers who wish to continue research programs or undertake new time-series studies and experiments using ONC’s ocean observing infrastructure or cyber-infrastructure.
How to Respond?
An online form will enable researchers to outline high-level research program goals and identify required infrastructure resources.
Background Information and Resources