World Oceans Day is June 8th.
This year’s theme is Healthy oceans, healthy planet and people all over our blue planet are organizing celebrations throughout the week, from June 6th all the way to June 14th.
Ocean Networks Canada will be joining community events all along the B.C. coast, from Vancouver to Prince Rupert. Check out these quick n’easy ways to be a part of World Oceans Day and find out how YOU can take action for the ocean.
Vancouver Aquarium World Oceans Day
- Where: Vancouver Aquarium, Vancouver BC
- When: 6 June, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Why: Join Ocean Networks Canada in a full day of ocean celebrations with the Vancouver Aquarium. Throughout the aquarium partake in the ocean-buzz with seafood demonstrations, marine species presentations and a “passport” activity. Swing by ONC’s booth in front of the belugas in the Arctic Gallery to chat with ONC staff about our current research and new technology deployments, listen to hydrophone clips of whale vocalizations and watch stunning deep sea footage.
Campbell River World Oceans Day
- Where: Waterfront near the Maritime Heritage Centre Campbell River, BC
- When: 6 June 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Why: Ocean Networks Canada will be hosting a booth at the waterfront near the Maritime Heritage Centre to celebrate World Oceans Day with the Campbell River community. Drop by the ONC booth to learn more about the proposed Discovery Passage Community Observatory! Keep an eye out for various screenings of the documentary REACHING BLUE, the story of a coastal way of life under threat where hope is found both in remembering our past and facing the challenges of our future.
Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre
- Where: Beacon Park, Sidney, BC
- When: 7 June 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Why: This annual family event on the waterfront in Sidney, BC, promises a fun-packed day of outdoor activities including ocean games, live music, food, artists, and 14 ocean-themed booths. Find ONC under our new blue Octopus tent and stay awhile to learn about the latest coastal research and enjoy activity books, our listening station, undersea video highlights and more.
World Oceans Day at Fisherman’s Wharf
- Where: Fisherman’s Wharf, 12 Erie Street, Victoria, BC
- When: 7 June 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Why: Celebrate World Oceans Day with Ocean Networks Canada at Fisherman’s Wharf in Victoria, BC. Join us and learn about our underwater cabled observatories and how they are used for research and in the classroom, listen to hydrophone recordings of marine mammals (including an as-yet-unidentified sound) and find out how you can contribute to citizen science research!
Ocean Innovation for “Strong Nature and Strong Economy”
- Where: Parliament Hill, Ottawa, ON
- Who: Sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund (Canada) and the all-party Parliamentary Oceans Caucus
- Why: Dr. Kate Moran, president and CEO of Ocean Networks Canada, will speak about “Ocean Innovation” at an annual reception on Parliament Hill.
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, is planning to attend along with featured speakers from Fundy Ocean Research Centre for Energy (FORCE) and This Fish. Traditionally, the federal government has used this day to make announcements related to oceans policy and sustainable ocean use.
13, 14 June
37th Annual Seafest
- Where: Prince Rupert, BC
- When: ALL DAY Saturday 13 June: Parade & downtown events; ALL DAY Sunday 14 June: Harbour waterfront events
- Why: Stop by the Ocean Networks Canada interactive booth to chat to with ONC’s Learning and Engagement Team about world-leading ocean research and education opportunities. Learn about an upcoming Community Observatory planned for Prince Rupert-Ts’msyen Territory. Check out the subsea instruments that will be attached to the Community Observatory, watch rare video highlights from the deep sea, or listen to our many undersea whale and dolphin clips—including one that still has scientists baffled!
We hope to see you during the week!
For more information about ONC’s educational outreach, contact: Maia Hoeberechts, Associate Director, User Services