The Data Steward is primarily responsible for acquiring, verifying and maintaining metadata and data for ONC. Properly curated data is critical for scientific and non-scientific users to understand, interpret and analyze the information collected via the instruments on the network operated by ONC. Secondary duties include field and at-sea support during infrastructure maintenance operations that occur multiple times a year for up to four weeks duration, or day and multi day trips.
This position is required to work designated shifts through extended hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when supporting expedition operations.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum a Master's Degree in Information Science, Computer Science or related field, and 3 years of experience working in a related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with metadata schemas, controlled vocabularies, linked data
- Experience with web-services for scientific data discovery and delivery
- Experience with digital content management tools
- Experience with metadata and data manipulation
- Expertise with geospatial and oceanographic community conventions and standards
- Familiarity with XML, RDF, NetCDF tools and formats
- Ability to program in Python, Matlab, R, or other scripting languages
- Fluent in the use of SQL-based database access tools
- Basic knowledge of scientific instrumentation and measurements
- Familiarity with international meta data standards and practices and their creation