The Data Steward is primarily responsible for acquiring, verifying and maintaining metadata and data for ONC. Properly curated data is critical for scientific and non-scientific users to understand, interpret and analyze the information collected via the instruments on the network operated by ONC. ONC’s primary mission to maintain long time series data sets cannot be achieved without robust and accurate metadata. Secondary duties include field and at-sea support during infrastructure maintenance operations that occur multiple times a year for up to four weeks duration, or day and multi day trips.
This position is required to work designated shifts through extended hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when supporting expedition operations.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum a Master's Degree in Information Science, Computer Science or related field, and 3 years of experience working in a related discipline.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with metadata schemas, controlled vocabularies, linked data
- Experience with web-services for scientific data discovery and delivery
- Experience with digital content management tools
- Experience with metadata and data manipulation
- Expertise with geospatial and oceanographic community conventions and standards
- Familiarity with XML, RDF, NetCDF tools and formats
- Ability to program in Python, Matlab, R, or other scripting languages
- Fluent in the use of SQL-based database access tools Basic knowledge of scientific instrumentation and measurements
- Familiarity with international meta data standards and practices and their creation
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to deal with multiple parallel projects involving several stakeholder groups, and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and to effectively manage assigned work during periods of peak demand
- Strong oral communication and writing skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment.