ONC’s User Engagement Division is responsible for supporting and growing ONC’s scientific and research user communities through direct support for new and ongoing user research initiatives on the one hand, and education, development of data products and other web-based data access and visualization tools on the other. As part of the User Engagement Division, the Software Engineering group, under the guidance of its stakeholders delivers software that empowers users in accomplishing complex tasks, in dealing with data volumes of increasing size and complexity.
The Intermediate Software Developer works as part of a team of developers to design, develop, troubleshoot, maintain and deploy software components for acquiring, publishing and processing data from ONC. The Software Developer reports to the Associate Director Software Engineering (Associate Director), with work assigned on a project basis or in an area of continuing responsibility. The Intermediate Software Developer will work with limited specification documents, suggest changes, recommend alternatives, and get clarifications where required.
The Intermediate Developer must have a university degree in computer science and a minimum of 3 years of software development experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability to write design, build, test and debug software
- Experience in object–oriented design and implementation
- Relational database management systems such as Oracle or MySQL
- Software lifecycle and Agile methodologies such as Scrum
- Web services and service-oriented architectures
- Web 2.0 and mashups
- Ability to work independently and proactively within a team-oriented environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to learn new technologies