ONC’s User Engagement Division is responsible for supporting and growing ONC’s scientific and research user communities through direct support for new and ongoing user research initiatives on the one hand, and education, development of data products and other web-based data access and visualization tools on the other. As part of the User Engagement Division, the Software Engineering group, under the guidance of its stakeholders delivers software that empowers users in accomplishing complex tasks, in dealing with data volumes of increasing size and complexity. The Junior Software Developer will participate in the design and implementation of software components aiming at processing and publishing data from ONC instruments and controlling these instruments or the observatory infrastructure.
The Developer reports to the Associate Director Software Engineering (Associate Director), with work assigned on a project basis or in an area of continuing responsibility, which will be reviewed for progress toward the stated objectives.
The Junior Developer will have a college diploma in computer science and a minimum of 1 year of development experience.
- Proven ability to write design, build, test and debug software
- Experience in object–oriented design and implementation
- Relational database management systems such as Oracle or MySQL
- Software lifecycle and Agile methodologies such as Scrum
- Web services and service-oriented architectures
- Ability to work independently and proactively within a team-oriented environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to learn new technologies