For this particular opportunity, we seek a senior individual to lead and manage the scientific theme of Ocean Acoustics, with a preference in passive (hydrophone) acoustics. The successful candidate should have a Ph.D., and post-doctoral and research program experience in marine acoustics, including:
- in measuring and quantifying acoustic data from hydrophone networks
- assessing and minimizing acoustic system noise
- an understanding of natural and anthropogenic sources, sound propagation, and marine mammal impact assessment.
- knowledge of acoustic measurements, propagation, and analysis techniques
- demonstrated advanced knowledge of ocean acoustic data visualization, assessment, and reporting methods
Within the Science Services department, itself a part of the User Engagement Division, the Senior Staff Scientist contributes to the execution of science-based services as articulated in the Strategic Plan of ONC, in which serving the research users and providing scientific solutions to stakeholders are core mandates. The Senior Scientist interacts with and provides support to a diverse national and international user community within a specific science and research area, with the goal of increasing the number of scientific publications, the number and breadth of users accessing the facility, broadening the awareness and utility of the observatories in the science community, and encouraging its use by an ever-widening community of interdisciplinary users and research topics. The Senior Scientist supervises and works with Junior Staff Scientists to facilitate research support activities for ONC users and stakeholders across all ONC installations. As an enabling catalyst, the Senior Staff Scientist acts to drive and integrate advances in interdisciplinary marine science, information technology, and multivariate earth-ocean informatics, as required by external users to analyze and use the complex data produced from ONC instruments and sensors. In conjunction with ONC Observatory Operations and User Engagement staff, the Senior Scientist ensures that engineering, software, and data delivery solutions developed and provided to stakeholders are scientifically accurate, functional, validated, and meet the highest standards for performance and integrity.
This position requires a PhD and a minimum of 2 years post-doctoral experimental or modelling experience in a relevant science discipline including a proven record of publication within the discipline.
The Senior Staff Scientist must be eligible for Adjunct Professor status at a post-secondary institution.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Established Leadership in the science community, nationally or internationally
- Demonstrated background, knowledge and qualifications in a major marine science discipline
- Oceanographic experience including collecting, processing, and analyzing samples at sea
- Facilitation and coordination of interdisciplinary scientific programs and teams
- Organizing, running and chairing a scientific workshop
- Management of multi-dimensional numerical databases
- Quantitative multi-variate data analysis and date visualization using high-level data analysis languages such as Matlab, R and/or IDL
- Production and presentation of accurate scientific communications, including peer-reviewed publications, conference abstracts and presentations, and summaries for both broader audiences (public, outreach and education)
- Coordinating and writing research grant proposals
- Supervisory experience with junior staff, interns and/or students
- Demonstrated understanding of project management processes, tools and best practices
Skills and attributes:
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with all stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Proven track record achieving project goals on time and produce deliverables of a high quality
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population and with all levels of university personnel
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory skills and the ability to inspire a team