The first leg of Ocean Networks Canada’s 2016 offshore Wiring the Abyss expedition was a landmark success, a fitting tribute to the organization’s tenth anniversary. Round-the-clock ship operations were conducted at four of the five NEPTUNE node locations aboard the exploration vessel E/V Nautilus. The C/S Wave Venture conducted joint cable operations with the Nautilus from 12-27 May at three node locations. Both ships mobilized at the Victoria Ogden Point facility.
Three significant accomplishments were achieved during this two ship expedition:
- Restoration of the Barkley Canyon node, spur cable, upper slope cable and connection of the Barkley Canyon hydrates cable.
2. Successful lay completed of four cables on the ONC system: Clayoquot node to CORK1364A, Endeavour node to regional circulation north instrument platform; regional circulation north instrument platform to West Ridge Flank, and Endeavour node to Mothra instrument platform.
3. Successful test of communication over copper solution for bottom pressure recorder data transmission to bring ONC's tsunami array at Cascadia Basin online.
Other operations included instrument maintenance at Barkley Canyon, Clayoquot Slope, Endeavour and Cascadia Basin, installation of caissons for future accelerometers, deployment of moorings and scientific sampling.
All of the scientific installations were carried out using the remotely operated vehicles (ROV) Hercules and Argus, operated by staff and contractors of Ocean Exploration Trust. In addition to live streaming video of each dive, we also broadcast the conversations and discussions among the control room participants, including ROV pilots, navigator, video engineer, dive chief, loggers and science communicators.
The cruise ended for the C/S Wave Venture on 27 May in Victoria, BC and on 29 May when the E/V Nautilus returned to Ogden Point, where the ONC team and visiting scientists all had a pizza party celebration before disembarking. Read the E/V Nautilus blog about our collaboration: “FriendShips”.
The expedition was the subject of a variety of media spots including:
- Motherboard article: These Photos Were Snapped by a Giant Seafloor Observatory Deep in the Pacific
- Daily Vice: Wiring the Abyss: Ocean Mission Bring Live Video of the Ocean Floor to the World
- Shaw TV video about Expedition 2016: Wiring the Abyss Part 1
- Shaw TV video about Expedition 2016: Wiring the Abyss Part 2
- CHEK Ocean Networks Canada to embark on its most challenging expedition
Wiring the Abyss Photos and Video
- Expedition video.
- Wiring the Abyss 2016 Flickr photo album.
- Wiring the Abyss 2016 YouTube Playlist.
- Nautilus highlight photos and videos.
The Adventure Continues on 14 June!
Expedition 2016: Wiring the Abyss resumes on 14-24 June 2016. Visit the expedition website for updates and information.